You Can Win an Adapted Vehicle during National Mobility Awareness Month
National Mobility Awareness Month is the inaugural May celebration that encourages people with disabilities to enjoy active, mobile lifestyles. To spread the word, the National Mobility Equipment Dealers Association (NMEDA) will be looking for three Local Heroes to receive a free wheelchair van. It may be you or someone you know.
A Local Hero is you or anyone in your community—a caregiver, veteran or person with a disability—who is dealing with or overcoming mobility challenges.
The search is on from the beginning of March through May 13, 2012—when NMEDA hopes to find those 3 Local Heroes and give them each a custom wheelchair accessible vehicle—no strings attached.
The top 3 Local Heroes to receive a customized wheelchair vehicle will be chosen from written or videotaped stories submitted to www.MobilityAwarenessMonth.com. The site has all the rules and regulations.
Submit either a picture and written story (up to 400 words) or videotaped story (1-3 minutes) of how you have overcome or are dealing with mobility issues. Caregivers, friends and family members are also welcome to submit entries for others.
Submit written stories or upload videos at www.MobilityAwarenessMonth.com, then encourage others to vote for you.
- Stories will be accepted March 18 to May 13.
- Voting to help determine the winners is April 1 to May 13.
- In May, the lucky Local Heroes will be selected and wheelchair accessible vehicles will be given to them on a national TV show such as “Good Morning America” or “Ellen.”
The good stuff:
- Toyota Motor Sales, USA, Inc. has donated a 2012 Sienna Minivan to the cause, SanTan Honda Superstore in Chandler, AZ has donated a Honda Odyssey and Chrysler LLC has donated a 2012 Town & Country Minivan.
- Van conversion companies such as Braun Corporation, Vantage Mobility International and Bruno Independent Living Aids will donate lowered floor conversion and specialized equipment.
Visit www.MobilityAwarenessMonth.com now—and spread the word!
The National Mobility Equipment Dealers Association sponsors the awareness month with the assistance of more than 600 mobility equipment dealers, manufacturers and driver rehabilitation specialists dedicated to expanding opportunities for people with disabilities. For updates on the awareness month and Local Heroes overcoming mobility issues, please visit NMEDA’s Facebook, Twitter or website.