If you have recently become a person with a disability and want to get behind the wheel again and drive, where do you start? You may need specific equipment to get into and out of a vehicle, special equipment if you want to drive, and a luxury or two just because.
Here are just a few immediate mobility questions:
- Which is better for my needs—a lift or a ramp?
- Who will teach me to operate the equipment?
- What about reimbursements and rebates?
- What are the different types of products and wheelchair accessible vehicles available?
- Wouldn’t it be great if there was one place to turn to for all the answers?
As it turns out, there is. Since you need a mobility equipment dealer, occupational or physical therapist, a certified driver rehabilitation specialist, a modifier, installer and other professionals, the one place with the answers is the National Mobility Equipment Dealers Association (www.NMEDA.com).
- NMEDA members can work with a certified driver rehabilitation specialist and evaluate your personal mobility needs based on your specific situation, including how your needs may change over time.
- They will advise you as well as install and service the mobility equipment you select.
- Many offer free, no-obligation consultations.
- They can also advise you of any funding assistance that may be available in your area.
You can rest assured that all NMEDA members are required to adhere to the safety standards of the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration and to follow guidelines set by NMEDA.
It just makes sense to contact a NMEDA Quality Assurance Program (QAP) dealer in your area. QAP is the only program of this nature developed for the mobility equipment industry.
Use the dealer locator at www.NMEDA.com to find QAP-accredited dealers of wheelchair accessible vehicles and adaptive equipment near you—and get started on new found independence.
The National Mobility Equipment Dealers Association (NMEDA) is an advocate for mobility and accessibility for drivers with disabilities. If you need help with converting or buying a handicap accessible car, truck or van, please consider one of our mobility equipment dealers.